Re: network / nat / port forward -- problem

On Jo, 12 ian 12, 16:34:16, YR wrote:

> The system has 2 network cards. Debian accesses the internet via
> eth0 without problems. (typical dhcp getting IP from ISP)
> the internet connection is shared, and the xp machine connected to
> eth1 connects to the internet also without problems (none that I saw
> anyway) the dhcp server on debian assigns an ip to the eth1 machine
> successfully in the 10.x.x.x range

Using Network Manager I assume?

[snip]

As far as I can tell you don't really need Network Manager, since your
setup is quite static. I would suggest you disable it (and even remove
when the new setup is working):

update-rc.d network-manager disable

then edit /etc/network/interfaces and make it look like this:

-------------------- cut here -------------------------------

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# The secondary network interface
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet static
    address 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0

------------------- cut here -------------------------------

Now install 'dnsmasq' (you should already have 'dnsmasq-base' but it is
not enough) and edit /etc/dnsmasq.conf. You will need to add at least
these two settings:

interface=eth1
dhcp-range=192.168.0.50,192.168.0.150,12h

The file is very well commented, and has the settings already there, but
disabled. You just need to remove the '#' before the respective line and
add the 'eth1' to 'interface='.

Now restart your computer and make sure Network Manager did NOT start.
At this point the Windows machine should be able to get a network
address, but will NOT have internet access. For this you will have to
use your preferred firewall configurator (you mentioned firestarter
which should be enough for your needs) to enable the connections
sharing/masquerading (or how it's called in its interface) and configure
port forwarding, etc.

Hope this helps,
Andrei