network / nat / port forward -- problem

hello

I tried over a dozen sites, forums and wikis with various instructions and I still can't get this to work. So many 'tutorials' instruct you to 'apt-get' more software that would simply conflict with what is already installed, when what is installed actually works, i just don't know how to configure it!

I am using debian squeeze 603 (installed from dvd1) i686 on a 2.2ghz single core and 1gb ram. It's very much the basic install, the system hasn't been modified, as I used what is already provided with it to get things working. (just ask for the details you require I'll provide them as I am not sure what information I must provide here)

The system has 2 network cards. Debian accesses the internet via eth0 without problems. (typical dhcp getting IP from ISP) the internet connection is shared, and the xp machine connected to eth1 connects to the internet also without problems (none that I saw anyway) the dhcp server on debian assigns an ip to the eth1 machine successfully in the 10.x.x.x range

my problem is that I cannot access the machine on eth1 when it serves. For example, from the machine connected to eth1 I could play quake 3 connecting to a server on the internet flawlessly, but I cannot host a server myself, others can't connect to me. how to I forward the ports to the eth1 machine so that I can have a server on it? (or as routers often call it "virtual servers")

I also want to activate the firewall on the debian machine but that also has caused problems with the internet connection sharing, leaving the machine on eth1 connectionless. my attempt with firewall is only half a success, as the machine on eth1 can only be given an IP by debian if firewall is off, and then eth1 machine will only access the internet if I turn the firewall back on. (not a bad thing but...) the lease to the eth1 machine is stuck at 1 hour, and after the hour is passed i have to turn off the firewall, so the eth1 machine gets it's ip again, and then restart the firewall so it can access the internet again, and so on, repeating this loop. (i had firestarter installed, trying to use the option for dhcp server in it.)

I have a voicechatter server (http://www.voicechatter.org/)on the machine and another I can access so live conversation is possible.

your help is much appreciated.
YR