Re: smtp/postfix/sasl/openssh headaches

Only postfix.
But this server has only been up for 9 days (Jan 2).
I have noted various failed attempts (from Valencia, Spain, from China, etc., although probably all behind proxies)
to login as root.

There's a lot of this in /var/log/auth.log:
Jan  8 07:01:15 (none) sshd[29968]: Failed password for root from 190.121.25.74 port 56313 ssh2
Jan  8 07:01:16 (none) sshd[29970]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=190.121.25.74  user=root

Looks like they've tried a lot of ports.

Root access over ssh is disabled, of course, but on linode, it isn't, initially, and they give you only a root password to get in.
(So, you go in change the root password, disable root over ssh, make a user, etc.)

How would I find/remove a rootkit?  I don't see any weird processes running, and it looks like all of these attempts were failures.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
All Tony, all the time!