Re: Dvorak Keyboards.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:15:19 +0100
Andreas Weber <aendu@worldwideweber.ch> wrote:

> > My question: is it really worth the trouble of learning a new way of
> > typing, if you are already a moderately competent touch typist on the
> > QWERTY keyboard?
>
> No, it's not. Only if you always work on your own hardware. But as soon
> as you have to touch different machines ... QWERT is everywhere (like vi
> on *nix machines).

While that argument may stand in a logical sense, yes that is a drawback.
Once I learned where all of the keys are placed on my colemak layout I
found that I did have to hunt and peck when using qwerty.  A while later,
it felt like it magically came back and now, while not proficient, I can
certainly still type in qwerty if the circumstance dictates.

I've heard the same story from others I've talked to and feel that it
really isn't an issue, certainly in my case from my own experience.

> Learn to type properly and use a Natural 4000 M$ Keyboard is my
> suggestion. And don't overtrain in the beginning, learn to type as if
> you would learn to run a marathon. It'll take some time, your body has
> to adapt first.

Maybe that argument does hold some water, but is simply IMHO a band-aid on
top of the problem.  RSI can be tackled from many different angles, and
your solution may be one of them, though I could point to your argument
above;  If not using your own hardware, would that not be a detriment
after getting used to the MS Natural keyboard?

I find that all of my computers, and versions of consoles, distributions
and desktop environments have very excellent support for other keyboard
layouts.  Heck, even my Android phone sports a colemak layout, and touch
typing on that device certainly doesn't have the same meaning.  Usually I
can find a way to use my layout, if not, qwerty like I've said isn't a far
stretch for me.

> Just my 2c.

=), mine too.