Re: pure debian testing or a distro based on debian testing

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 07:02:01PM +0530, Amrish Purohit wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I am using debian stable as my primary OS. I want to involve in
> debian and as a first step I would like to install debian testing. I
> have tried to install debian testing with various snapshot of weekly
> build, but my system get stuck when gui come up ,keyboard and mouse
> is not working.

Sometime installer does not work well for testing/unstable.

>     I think I should go with a distro based on debian testing.
> (considering mint on debian testing). what should I do?

Maybe ... if such thing exist.  But do you know most of us install
stable system and upgrade it to testing/unstable.

>     Should I go with pure debian testing or a distro on debian testing?

I think you should at least try upgrading system after installing stable
system on separate partition as dual boot.

If you want to make you life easy, install non-desktop small system
first.

Then edit /etc/apt/souces.list to replace stable or squeeze with wheezy and run
 # apt-get update
 # apt-get dist-upgrade

Then run tasksel or with aptitude, install desktop task and you are
done.

You should at least read this section:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_debian_package_management_prerequisites

Osamu