pure debian testing or a distro based on debian testing

Hi all,
I am using debian stable as my primary OS. I want to involve in debian and as a first step I would like to install debian testing. I have tried to install debian testing with various snapshot of weekly build, but my system get stuck when gui come up ,keyboard and mouse is not working. I think I should go with a distro based on debian testing. (considering mint on debian testing). what should I do?
    Should I go with pure debian testing or a distro on debian testing?

Thanks
Amrish