Re: Installing 32bit Printer Drivers on Debian Stable amd64

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 11:09:00 -1100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:

> On 2012-01-06 11:34:14 +0000 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  For this there are some hints over Internet:
>
>> canon ip4700 printer/driver problem on 64bit karmic
>
>> That method will sucedded depending on the packaging. If Canon
>> packagers did count on the possibility of installing the required
>> 32-bits libraries so the driver could be installed over 64-bits
>> systems, then the installer will ask for any dependency. I'm not sure
>> this is an option for Canon drivers, though.
>
>> I would try (and then buy should they work) the Turboprint drivers
>> which seems to support your printer model (although just the printing
>> function):
>
>> http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_driver.phtml?
printer=Canon_PIXMA_iP4700

>> Nex time, buy an HP multifunction (or another branded linux compatible)
>> device and ensure it is supported directly by manufacturer's driver :-P
>

> Ok first I forced the driver installation:
>
> 	dpkg -i --force-architecture <package>
>
> It installed but I was still not able to print after successfully
> setting it up from within the cups admin webpage. I installed the
> ia32-libs package and it worked. So for the benefit of the archives I
> thought I would share that.

Good to know. Canon is one of the printer manufacturers I have in my
blacklist, they seem to make good products but most of them targeted to
windows users.

Anyway thanks for sharing. Other users with the same printer model (or
similar) will benefit from your findings :-)

> I'm wondering about printing from the command line though. lp(1) just
> shows a "no destination to printer" message. I think I might need the
> cups-bsd package but I can't see why I shouldn't be able to print from
> the command line with the normal cups packages.

I see you already solved this. "lp" needs the printer's name, something
like:

lp -d printer_name /path/to/file

Otherwise selects the default printer, so if none is set it will fail.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón