Re: Removing debian from hdd

On 1/6/2012 12:17 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:05:58 -0300, Guido Martínez wrote:

Hi,

I recently borrowed a hard drive and installed debian on it, alongside
windows. I used it for a couple of weeks.

Later, I tried to remove debian by deleting the partitions I had
installed it on, but that caused grub to fail horribly, and I had to
reinstall debian. How can I remove debian? Can I make grub ignore that
partition and then delete it?
The trouble is that grub uses files within Debian to find all the OS's on
the system so it can boot.  Once you delete Debian, you've lost those
files.

So you have to restore whatever MBR boots your other OS's, as you did
before.  I don't know what facilities your install or rescue disk has for
that.

There's a thing called a super grub disk -- it's basically all grub needs
to boot on a single floppy. CD, or USP stick.  See http://
www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Boot_Problems for details.  You should be able
to boot your other system with it.  Here's hoping your other OS has a way
to rewrite the MBR the way *it* wants it, after which you won't need grub
or the files it keeps in Debian.

Or else reinstall a minimal grub-bootable Debian system.  You might be
able to use that to boot your other OS.

There's a possibility your system has an "EFI" partition.  This is used
by some bootloaders to store extra info they might need while booting.
My laptop has one; it seems to have need there from the beginning,
presumably to boot the Windows that was there initially.  I hope you
didn't delete that one, if there was one initially -- if yo had one you'd
probably need it to boot Windows.  I've heard grub is capable of using
that to store its stuff, but I don't know how true that really is.

-- hendrik

If you have a LIVE pclos disk, it has a capability called "fix mbr" which should find the sytems you have left and omit the system that's now missing. What it does is modify the file on the HD /boot/grub/menu.lst. Or make a new one, if it's now missing (having been removed with Debian?). (Maybe you have to have pclos on the HD for this to work, I don't know. But I have fixed problems with multiple
distros this way, including having removed one or more--one being Debian.)

When the system is set up right and working, I don't believe that it looks into the os until it is done with the menu.lst. At least it looks that way from reading the menu.lst file, which is in plain English. You will need to be super user to access it.

--doug