Re: How to disable TLS in exim4 client part?

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 18:32:01 +0100
"Alois Mahdal" <Alois.Mahdal.1-NDMAIL@zxcvb.cz> wrote:

> Sorry for delay.
>
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 09:51:14 +0100, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> > Is there anything useful in /var/log/exim4/mainlog? That at least
> > should be in plaintext.
>

> Lines in Exim4 sound like purring to me:
>
> -----8<-----
> 2012-01-02 14:09:46 1Rhhe6-00059F-9d <=
> aloism@gebba.aloism.test.local U=aloism P=local S=442
> 2012-01-02 14:09:46 1Rhhe6-00059F-9d =>
> correct.addressee@mydomain.cz <Correct.Addressee@mydomain.cz>
> R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost H=local.gate.cz [10.1.2.3]
> X=TLS1.0:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:32 DN="C=CZ,ST=Czech
> Republic,L=Town,O=Company,CN=cn.local.gate.cz" 2012-01-02 14:09:46
> 1Rhhe6-00059F-9d Completed ----->8-----
>
> I have obuscated many fields, the adresses there are correct (I also
> tried the e-mail address in lowercase), except for one thing I'm not
> sure about: this part, which is literally:
>
> "R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost"
>
> I could not find in Exim4 specs what these fields should be.
>
> TIA,
> aL.

R is router, T is transport. A router determines where to send a
particular email next, a transport is a software means of achieving
that. Routers and transports may be user-defined for individual
domains or even per recipient, which gives enormous flexibility in
shifting mail around.

This entry is only telling you that delivery has been made successfully
to your local smarthost, local.gate.cz. The next step is to find out
what this server has done with the email, which depends on whether the
server is also yours or you have to ask for logs from someone else.

If the latter, quote them time and date and the message ID beginning
"1Rhhe.." (basically your second line above). The server will definitely
have a log entry which is the 'other half' of your entry above, showing
this email as being accepted, and the message ID should then appear in
one or more additional server log entries where the server tries to send
the message to the next SMTP server in the path to your recipient.

Generally the SMTP protocol is reliable in the communications sense, in
that it will either deliver the mail or it will tell the sender that it
can't, and why not. If mail is disappearing without error messages being
returned to the sender, an anti-spam system is usually the reason.

Joe