Re: No sound on AC'97 Audio Controller

On 02/01/12 04:59, Kyle Schwarz wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 02:58 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> What settings do you want to know about (it's kind of difficult to
>> figure out what state your system is in from reading the thread).
>
> I'm not sure what settings I need to know to fix this problem.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Best regards
>   Kyle Schwarz

Firstly I note that there are four other posts from people having
problems with the AC'97 - I'm not sure that means there's a problem with
Debian given the huge number of devices using that chipset whose users
don't have problems. Sometimes one bit of bad advice becomes
authoritative so I'll try not to do the same - and please bear in mind
that this post is also for other people with the same problem (so please
don't take comments personally).

Secondly I note that Compaq like many OEMs have been known to do, um,
different things with generic chipsets - so what is needed for Compaq
using an Intel whiteboard may not be the same as for other manufacturers.

Thirdly I'm not sure how stock your system is - I've tried to follow all
the changes made in the thread, but I may miss something. I looked at
that script you ran from alsa and decided I wouldn't run a script that
reset my paths, modified my locale, and appeared to download and run
other scripts - *and* post info online... I've not reason to presume it
does anything malicious, but I'd rather not have it modify my system. :-/

I found a few reports online of people installing Debian onto similar
models with the same chipset[*1]. They're not having major problems[*2]
- that and the lack of problem reports for your model give me hope that
it's possible, and simple.

Your chipset:-
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
Audio Controller (rev 01)
Mine:-
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
(ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

So *not* the amp is not identical, not is the A2D (so no guarantees)

Your loaded modules:-
snd_intel8x0
snd_intel8x0
snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm
snd_seq
snd_timer
snd_seq_device
snd_page_alloc

My loaded modules:-
lsmod | grep snd
snd_intel8x0           19595  2
snd_ac97_codec         79200  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                 710  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss            28671  0
snd_mixer_oss          10461  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                47226  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_midi            3576  0
snd_rawmidi            12513  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      3684  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                35463  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              12270  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          3673  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    34423  14
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               3450  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          5045  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

These are the main sound packages I have installed:-
alsa-base
alsa-utils
linux-sound-base
oss-compat
esound-common
libasound2
libesd0
libpulse-mainloop-glib0
libpulse0
libjack-jackd2-0
kde-config-phonon-xine
libphonon4
libsmokephonon3
phonon
phonon-backend-xine

NOTE: I run Squeeze with some backports, KDE, limited Gnome packages. I
also have midi and sdl but they shouldn't affect your issues.

My alsamixer settings:-
http://paste.debian.net/150700

If you can match the loaded modules, and the alsamixer settings - and
still not get sound I'd suggest you check the multimedia keys. My[*3]
usual approach to these problems is:-
    RTFM
    Check tuxmobil.org and linux-on-laptops.com
    Check these lists (see my signature for some tools)
    Google/Dogpile/DuckDuckGo
    Boot up with Knoppix and copy what works
    Post a question to the list

Let me know how you go and we can proceed from there if necessary.

Cheers

[*1] http://www.sdrapisarda.altervista.org/presario.php
     http://www.researchut.com/docs/mynotebook.html (you'll have to
freeze his broken Drupal node)
[*2] Multimedia key mapping:-
     http://www.researchut.com/repository/notebook/keycodes
     http://www.researchut.com/repository/notebook/cp2203.def
(yours if probably different, but his is instructive)
[*3] Most people are not like me - which is a good thing ;-p and, I'm
not suggesting you didn't do these things - it's in the hope it might be
instructive to others