Re: Mainboard for Debian stable

Op 31-12-11 23:41, Curt schreef:
> On 2011-12-29, Paul van der Vlis <paul@vandervlis.nl> wrote:
>>
>> I want a network driver what's in Debian. In the past I had problems
>> with the Realtek 8111E what is in most motherboards today (in lspci this
>> is called "RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
>> [10ec:8168] (rev 06)").  Does this work now with Debian 6.0.3?
>> I don't find anything about it in the release notes.
>>
> The network driver does not work correctly in debian squeeze (frequent
> periodic lost connections requiring restarting the network).

Hmm, that does not sound nice. Was it with exactly the Realtek chip I've
asked for?  Is there a Debian bug about it?  Was it on one machine, or
did you see it on more machines?

Any other people here who are using this driver?

> This has been my experience with a quite recent netinstall of squeeze.
> The performance of the driver was bad enough that I felt compelled to
> install the proprietary driver provided by realtek (why the hell not?),

1. I want free & open software
2. I like security updates over apt
3. It's possible that with a new kernel the network driver is gone (I do
everything remote).

With regards,
Paul.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl