Re: radeonhd removed from Testing ... in February, still gone?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:29:08 -0500, Carl Fink wrote:

> I hope everyone has a great new year.

Same for you :-)

> According to this page:
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd.html
>
> the xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd package was removed from Testing on
> February 8, 2011 ... and never put back. Um, why?

(...)

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

Maybe because radeonhd has been superseded by radeon driver:

***
Status 09/2010: Linux distributions, including Novell's openSUSE, have
now abandoned radeonhd as the default driver, instead using the radeon
driver. radeon has more features, including Kernel Mode-Setting support
and more 3D support, and it supports all Radeon generation from original
R100 Radeons to R800 Radeons (HD 5000 series). Radeonhd can be continued
to be updated as long as there are people find it useful.
***

> It's in Sid.

Hum... no, it's not. It seems to be only available for one architecture
(m68k).

> It's in Stable.

Yes, because at that time is was still being packaged.

> Why can't it be in Wheezy?

Because all the efforts are going now to radeon, I'm afraid.

> I ask because, well, I have a Radeon RS690m in my netbook and currently
> (since fglrx is broken for me) can't use accelerated video. For no
> visible reason.

Did you install the firmware package? Anyway, I would open a bug report
if radeon, for whatever reason, does not work.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón