Re: [OT] Rosetta Stone language program on Linux?

On 12/31/2011 03:52 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 01/01/12 10:21, Lisi wrote:
On Saturday 31 December 2011 23:12:03 Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 01/01/12 07:16, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
Hi:

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with a Rosetta Stone
language program on a Linux box, either the web-based or the DVD
program.  I want to (re)learn French, and most reviews suggest that
Rosetta Stone is the best.

TIA

Patrick
Have you even tried the Google thingie?:-
http://www.google.com/search?q=rosetta+stone+linux

The company that sells the product says it only runs on Windoof - so
that leaves WINE. Rather than treat you as a total vegetable I'll let
you look that up yourself:-
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1867

Hint: Corkscrew

Happy New Year, and good luck with studying

I think that you may have misunderstood Patrick, and be doing him an
injustice.  I think he was asking about people's experience of Rosetta Stone,
not asking people to tell him how to find it.
Google for "linux rosetta stone" and you get 283000+ results.

I too would be interested to know how people have liked it - is it good, OK,
effective, useless, etc.?
I would hope the first thing you would do is a quick search to see if
it's supported before asking if it's worth running. I strongly
suspect/hope you'd also (if you didn't already speak French) try and
find a Linux equivalent.

Lisi

According to the WINE database - the latest version is rated "garbage".

If you want a review - I looked at an earlier version being used by a
relative and agreed with her that it was not very good (very
repetitive). Heavily advertised and expensive, and no where near as user
friendly or useful as the free BBC program.

Is that relevant given that a cursory search shows that the latest
version will not run under WINE.
Not true :) Works great on my system with wine. I get the base free through work and any language extensions. I just keep updating the original install as they come out and have yet to run into any issues with it under wine. Though I am on sid based off a net-install running just openbox and run wine off the dev tree.

RS-V.4 works though not all languages are to that version yet
RS-V.3 works and all languages are supported.

Happy New Year

Quality of the overall program, its OK, it is in relation to how you learn I think. I would not say any of the ones I have completed have made me 100% fluent but I did get a deeper grasp of the studied languages. Some will find it works wonders others hate it due to their teaching style. Just like every teaching method out there.