[SOLVED] Squeeze on 15" laptop, change aspect ratio?

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 02:55:37PM +0100, Lorenzo Bandieri wrote:
> > Hi, Folks --
> >
> > I'm setting up a laptop as a Christmas gift for my sister; it's an Acer
> > Aspire 5250 with Radeon HD 6310.  Netinstall of Squeeze went smoothly enough,
> > but the aspect ratio seems wrong (too wide; kinda squashed).  Gnome and Xorg
> > are offering only resolutions of 1024x768 and 800x600.  Both have this ratio,
> > such that items I know should appear round appear as ovals instead.

[snip]

> Hi Jeff,
>
> You can set your screen resolution using xrandr. You can easily find
> several howtos; after a quick search I found an ubuntu thread [1] and
> a ubuntu wiki page [2] that seemed appropriate to me (though I did not
> check extensively, I post them just to give you an idea). Just
> remember that those change will not survive a reboot, but you can
> automate the execution on every boot. The link I posted should explain
> this, too: for instance, you can paste them in
> /etc/gdm3/Init/Default.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Lorenzo
>
> [1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1474910
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions

Problem pretty much resolved itself with upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy.
As soon as that was successfully done, Gnome's 'System Settings' presented
a range of choices for the screen's dimensions, some 4:3, some 16:9, even
one 3:2, all labeled as such. :-)

--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."