Squeeze on 15" laptop, change aspect ratio?

Hi, Folks --

I'm setting up a laptop as a Christmas gift for my sister; it's an Acer
Aspire 5250 with Radeon HD 6310.  Netinstall of Squeeze went smoothly enough,
but the aspect ratio seems wrong (too wide; kinda squashed).  Gnome and Xorg
are offering only resolutions of 1024x768 and 800x600.  Both have this ratio,
such that items I know should appear round appear as ovals instead.

I'd appreciate any help or pointers to existing help on this.

Thanks kindly,

--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."