Re: disable beep for wall command

On 07/12/2011 16:18, afuentes wrote:
On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 10:54 -0300, Iuri Guilherme dos Santos Martins
wrote:
What's making that horrible beep is the calling of the funtion
sigaction() with the first parameter being SIGALRM, and then it being
called the function alarm().

As we said, disabling your pc beep disables this, as disabling only the
wall will not solve your problem (other programs will also beep the
whole time).

If your ALSA mixer does not have this (are you sure?), then maybe your
sound card is controlled by other system that's not ALSA. In that case
the gnome-volume-control may or may not have the pc beep option, but
check the preferences again.

afaik, only the wall beeps (and everytime i reboot the machine because it calls this wall

I have checked gnome-volume-control, alsamixer and alsamixergui, i only have a master control there controled by pulseaudio. Terminal bell is disabled in all terminals i use (gnome-terminal and tilda)

if it helps, when i connect headphones, it sounds via the headphones (so i assume is not the pc spkr, even when the kernel module was blacklisted :))

This is the info of my system gathered via alsa-info.sh as well, in case it can help to pin down the culprit
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=4c405a088ffaaeec7155fdce639adf3e86b4c28d

Sorry... but is this *your* system? It seems there is a 'Beep' in the mixer:

Simple mixer control 'Beep',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 3

In this case you could simply try:
amixer set Beep mute

Lorenzo.

Thanks for the answers :)
Al

--
** NOTE **: This gmail address is my new email.
I will still be reading my libero.it email, but please use this new one for any further email.