Re: disable beep for wall command

On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 10:38 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Iuri Guilherme dos Santos Martins wrote:
> > What's making that horrible beep is the calling of the funtion
> > sigaction() with the first parameter being SIGALRM, and then it
> > being called the function alarm().
>
> Sorry but actually SIGALRM relates to the program event signals and
> has nothing to do with the speaker.  I know it is called an "alarm"
> but it isn't related to any type of alarm sound.  The sigaction() call
> is the new standard replacement for the classic signal() system call
> which was different on different systems.  SIGALRM is the signal
> number designated for alarm events such as timeouts.  If your program
> needs to wake up at a certain time, say one minute in the future, then
> it can set an alarm for this and be woken up by the system at that
> time and it can sleep until them not taking up resources.
>
> > As we said, disabling your pc beep disables this, as disabling only
> > the wall will not solve your problem (other programs will also beep
> > the whole time).
> >
> > If your ALSA mixer does not have this (are you sure?), then maybe
> > your sound card is controlled by other system that's not ALSA. In
> > that case the gnome-volume-control may or may not have the pc beep
> > option, but check the preferences again.
>
> On my laptop machine I disable the speaker by blacklisting the
> 'snd_pcsp' module.  I believe that is the alsa module.  The module
> name will be different in each sound system and in the old OSS days I
> remember it being 'pcspkr'.  If you are using yet a newer different
> sound system (pulse audio?) then it will probably be yet a different
> name.
>
> Try looking for and removing snd_pcsp as first pass.
>
>   $ lsmod | grep pcsp
>   # rmmod snd_pcsp
>
> Bob

$ sudo lsmod | grep -i snd
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     26548  1
snd_hda_codec_idt      53794  1
snd_hda_intel          26182  4
snd_hda_codec          72799  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              13186  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                63744  4
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                45093  0
snd_timer              22917  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device         13176  1 snd_seq
snd                    52798  16
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore              13065  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         13003  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

you dont happen to know witch one of this modules is causing it? :) none
is culprit at first sight by name

greets!
aL