Re: Synaptic 0.70: reporting wrong status for package?

Brad Rogers, 30.11.2011:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:08:04 +0100
> Joost Kraaijeveld <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> wrote:
>
> Hello Joost,
>
> > Does Synaptic display the wrong status? Or do the descriptions not
> > cover the meaning? Can I check somehow what the status of a packed is
> > outside Synaptic?
>
> Your understanding of the term "manual" is flawed.  It means *you* asked
> for the package to be installed, via Synaptic, apt or aptitude, rather
> than it being installed as as system requirement, or dependency of
> another package, not from outside those systems. If you install a
> package outside Synaptic et al, there is no way that they can know about
> it, so it won't be listed in their databases, anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by "install a package outside Synaptic et al"
but my experience is that .deb packages installed using just
"dpkg -i ..." are listed in synaptic and dselect.  Or did you mean
installing software that is not in a .deb "package"?