Re: Re (3): Using a Fire-i camera

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:28:06 -0700, peasthope wrote:

> *	From: Camale&#xF3;n <noelamac@gmail.com> *	Date: Tue, 8 Nov
2011
> 15:21:20 +0000 (UTC)
>> And now I recall... I think the raw1394 interface was removed from
>> Debian kernel time ago, but I don't know what's its current status nor
>> how this finally affects Coriander, maybe you need to manually
>> build/enable those kernel modules again >:-?
>
> Yes, raw1394 is obsolete.  I've installed vloopback-source and loaded
> the module.  That should be enough for the kernel.

Let's see:

***
Package: vloopback-source (1.3-3)

vloopback modules for Linux

vloopback is a video4linux driver providing video pipes. With this driver
you can use the output of a user program as input to another program
which would normally communicate with a video4linux device.
***

Mmm... do you think this is enough to be able to capture data directly
from a firewire source/port? This program seems to be for sending data
streams between "applications" (software → software and not hardware →
software which seems to be your case) :-?

Anyway, Coriander expects a "/dev/raw1394" device, do you already have
that?

>> (look at the first message, what's that "juju" firewire stack the user
>> mentions? :-?)
>
> The last two sentences in this section explain a little; although the
> link to reference [34] about migration to juju is dead.
> "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394#Operating_system_support";

The front page seems to be operative, though:

https://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/

> Similar information here.  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire I know of
> nothing more informative.
>
> After a little trial and error I'll say that /dev/fw1 appears to be the
> output from vloopback.  /dev/fw0 gives an error as in my original
> enquiry.  Reasonable enough considering that vloopback duplicates a
> device for V4L usage.
>
>> ... how this finally affects Coriander, ...
>
> Appears that Coriander in Debian merely needs the default device updated
> from /dev/video0 to /dev/fw1.  A bug report is appropriate.

Yes, that's probably the most appropriate option, but I'm afraid this
will have to happen from the upstream project (Coriander) first.

> Now the remaining puzzle is that Skype and xawtv still can't use
> /dev/fw1.  Example.
>
> peter@joule:~$ xawtv -device /dev/fw1
> This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.32-5-686)
> xinerama 0: 1024x768+0+0 /dev/fw1: wrong device
> v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> no video grabber device available
> peter@joule:~$
>
> Man v4l-conf tells that I shouldn't need to run v4l-conf directly. So
> what should be done next?

That's because those application could require a different device node. I
mean, webcams and tv players can make use of "/dev/video0" while
Coriander requires "/dev/raw1394". The diversity of the drivers (with the
old and the stack) is explained here:

https://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/articles/i/n/t/Introduction.html

Greetings,

--