Re: virtualbox just became slow (SOLVED)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 12:54:11 +0000 (UTC), I wrote

> I've been happily running a virtualbox Windows XP machine (VM) on a Wheezy
> host for eight months.  However, the VM just became pathologically slow.
> For example, if I boot the VM, call Photoshop 6, and open a small JPG, it
> all works but takes several minutes.  During much of this time the XP Task
> Manager pins at 100% CPU usage, and the host's cooling fans are revving
> hard.  If I then ask to print the JPG, Photoshop (eventually) declares
> "There is not enough memory for this operation".

This has apparently been fixed by deleting a network LaserJet printer defined
as this in XP:

  http://192.168.1.2:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP

In fact the host had been assigned a different IP (192.168.1.3).  I have
created a printer with that address and everything's fine.

This is aggravating because I've known of this problem for a long time
(although this seemed worse than usual).  The first thing I did was to check
the printer URL, but I must have failed to read it carefully enough.

Anytime I boot or there's a power outage, I have to go through this if our
home router (Netgear Wireless-N 150 router WNR1000 v2) hands over a new IP.
I haven't found a way to have it always assign the same IP.  Maybe booting
the Debian host as a fixed IP would do it, or maybe the router would hand out
that same IP to some second device, creating a conflict.

Anyway thanks to Scott Ferguson for leading me to look into the network as
the source of the problem.