Re: Disk performance deteriated to unbearable levels

David Purton wrote:
> Everything takes forever to load (including booting), but then runs ok
> once loaded.

Could DMA be disabled now?  Taking a long time to read initially but
running okay afterward would match that symptom.  Because after the
initial read it should be in filesystem buffer cache.

> My only guess is that it is filesystem related, but I am not sure how to
> confirm this, nor why things would have got to the present situation.
>
> Currently, the root/system parition is 20GB, with 50% used. /home has
> only 44% used.

That seems like a good amount of free space available for the
filesystem to deal with disk fragmentation.

> Any suggestions?

Since other suggested possible hard drive problems...  What does
smartctl say about the health of your drive?

  smartctl -H /dev/sda

Any selftest failures?  Are you running smartctl selftests?  If not
then please do.  I always run selftests regularly to get feedback
about the drives.  Let me suggest something similar to this in
/etc/smartd.conf so as to have these run automatically.

  # Monitor all attributes, enable automatic online data collection,
  # automatic Attribute autosave, and start a short self-test every day
  # between 2-3am, and a long self test Saturdays between 3-4am.
  # On failure run all installed scripts (to send notification email).
  # Ignore attribute 194 temperature change.
  # Ignore attribute 190 airflow temperature change.
  /dev/sda -a -o on -S on -s (S/../../[1-5]/03|L/../../6/03) -I 194 -I 190 -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner

This will dump the selftests.  Any failures?

  smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

If you need to manually run selftests:

  smartctl -t short /dev/sda

If short passes pick a time and run:

  smartctl -t long /dev/sda

You might try using 'hdparm' to produce some data for your disk.  Read
the hdparm documentation first (lots of docs on the web such as this)

  http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Hdparm#Benchmarking_devices

and then you might try this on an otherwise idle system.

  # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
  Timing cached reads:   4634 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2320.31 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads: 378 MB in  3.01 seconds = 125.71 MB/sec

Lastly you could benchmark the filesystem (a layer on top of the disk
system) using bonnie/bonnie++.

> Both are ext3

Directly on the disk partition (e.g. /dev/sda5)?  Or on top of LVM?
Or on top of RAID (e.g. /dev/md1)?  Or LVM on RAID?

> I do not want to reinstall if at all possible.

I am always an advocate of upgrades not re-installs.  :-)

Bob