Disk performance deteriated to unbearable levels

Hi everyone,

I have an ASUS 1005PE and have been running sid on it for the last
couple of years with regular updates.

Fairly recently - maybe in the last few months - but it's hard to tell,
the disk performance has dropped through the floor.

Everything takes forever to load (including booting), but then runs ok
once loaded.

Even loading vim for the first times takes 3 seconds. And you might as
well go catch a movie while libroffice loads...

I've been running sid for many years on many machines and never had this
sort of trouble before.

I do not think it is the disk, since I still have windows 7 lying around
on a spare partition and that seems to boot at its normal speed

My only guess is that it is filesystem related, but I am not sure how to
confirm this, nor why things would have got to the present situation.

Currently, the root/system parition is 20GB, with 50% used. /home has
only 44% used.

Both are ext3

Any suggestions?

Is it worth trying to convert to ext4?

I do not want to reinstall if at all possible.

cheers,

David

--
David Purton
dcpurton@marshwiggle.net

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a