Re: Alternatives to Iceape Display Problems?

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:01:20AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:33:28 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > My system is squeeze. For years I have used the iceape mail which
> > automaticaly transfers url links in received emails to the iceape
> > browser.  Convenient but the browser is not alway able to display images
> > in the linked url sites, not even some utube videos.  This problem has
> > gotten worse since squeeze became stable.  A partial solution is to
> > install google chrome, copy the links in the emails (iceape mail has a
>
> You mean Iceape browser is not displaying images nor flash player videos
> at all? For this problem, I would take a look into this KB:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_or_animations_do_not_load

I checked out this reference too.  The iceape settings are as
recommended except that one setting regarding navigation does not exist
in the iceape preferences.  The reference also notes that flash problems
are discussed in a separate article Video_or_audio_does_not_play.  This
page is blank.

I believe the flash plugin is the problem.  I started using the Google
Chrome browser because it included the latest version of flash.
Checking the plugins in iceape I found three versions of Shockwave Flash
installed, each in a different directory:

dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 125816 Sep 29 13:50 /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 275072 Sep 12  2010 /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so

dragon:~# ll /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 tom tom 10606256 Mar 11  2011 /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

The September 29 date is consistent with the start of iceape browser
becoming very sluggish with messages about problems reading scripts.  I
run dist-upgrade from time to time so an update may have been run at
that time.