Re: sun-Java6-plugin w/o Iceweasel?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 00:50:38 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> I have sun-Java6-plugin installed, as well as mozilla-mplayer.  Both
> seem to depend on Iceweasel, or Firefox.  I have Firefox installed from
> the mozilla website and do not want Iceweasel.  Iceweasel, however, was
> installed since aptitude knew nothing about the manual installation of
> Firefox.  When I run java programs that want to display html they try to
> run Iceweasel, which causes an error, since Firefox is always running on
> my box.  If I close Firefox and let it open Iceweasel then reopen
> Firefox later, all of my bookmarks are lost and I have to restore them.
>   Generally speaking, this is not working for me.

I wanted (now I have) a setup similar to yours in Lenny (because Iceweasel
and Icedove were not updated anymore in oldstable, I had to force the swtich),
let me tell you what I did. The only difference is that I don't have "mozilla-
mplayer", but "totem" plugins to display videos (quick time, real player,
divx...).

> Is there a way to remove Iceweasel without removing sun-java6-plugin
> and mozilla-mplayer?

(...)

Yes.

sm01@stt008:~$ whereis firefox
firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /usr/lib64/firefox

sm01@stt008:~$ firefox -v
Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1

I followed these instructions:

http://deviceguru.com/adding-real-firefox-to-debian-lenny/

And yes, I had to remove Iceweasel (and Icedove):

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l|grep -e iceweasel -e icedove
rc  icedove                              2.0.0.24-0lenny1           free/unbranded thunderbird mail/news/rss clo
rc  iceweasel                            3.0.6-3                    lightweight web browser based on Mozilla

But the plugins are still working within the new Firefox (by means of the
symlink) so you don't need to worry about that. Well, at least it works here
:-)

Notes:

- Before taking any further step, make a full backup copy of your current
mozilla profile (~/.mozilla) or rename it to something like "~/.mozilla_old",
to avoid mixing up thigs... just in case. And export your bookmarks to an html
file.

- I preferred to start the new Firefox with a complete empty profile and then
manually import the bookmarks from the old "bookmarks.html" file.

- I'm very happy with this setup since I can always have the most updated
version of the browser. Updates have to be done from Firefox updater and
you will have to launch Firefox with root's privileges (unless you install
Firefox in your user's profile and not system wide).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón