Re: Menu editing on Gnome 3

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:58:49 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On 01/11/11 10:37, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 05:50:21 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone any idea how to edit the applications menu in Gnome3.  I have
>>> KDiff3 in the "Other" menu and I can't figure out how to move it.
>>
>> GNOME3 or gnome-shell?
>
> I don't really know which is which.

Gnome3 is used still in wheezy but it uses the old gnome-panel and gnome
menus while gnome-shell is the new GUI of Gnome3 (available on Sid). Both
(gnome-apenl and gnome-shell) provide different paradigms to manage the
desktop.

> This is the NEW GNOME3 desktop, with the Full Application Menu covering
> almost the whole screen.  You can filter into the old menu sections
> from a bar on the right
>
> I presume that means it is the gnome-shell - its what I got when my
> Gnome got updated.

Only sid has now gnome-shell so if you are in sid yes, you are talking
about gnome-shell. If you are in wheezy, you have the old GNOME menu.

(...)

> The OLD menu editor appears to show things as laid but refuses to work
> other than to allow you to add items (and it chooses where to put them)

Try with the suggested step. Look at "/usr/share/applications" and edit
the corresponding "kdiff3.desktop" file to fit your needs. I mean, it
should be something like:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Kdiff3
Icon=preferences-system
Exec=kdiff
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Settings; <<-- watch this!
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;

Notice the "Categories" line, here is where you can change it from the
current "Others" location to whatever place you want it to appears.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón