Re: Panning Desktop WITHOUT xorg.conf

johny why <johnywhy@gmail.com> writes:

> not sure if this is relevant, but for noobs like me, this method
> enables a virtual panning desktop on Debian, from a terminal
> command-line, without need for a xorg.conf:

Debian wheezy here.

> xrandr --output VGA1 --rate 60 --mode 800x600 --fb 1280x1024
> --panning 1280x1024

I'm very interested in this and have tried any number of incantations
to get a panning desktop... the above formula fails here.

The desktop grows but the panning just does not happen... mouse is
still locked into actual monitor size and just moves the screen very
slightly when bumped up against any border.

Some have said its due to bugs that I have lost track of but there are
several in different OS's reported where the panning is restricted.

Maybe I've got the command all wrong:
  (wrapped for mail but was on 1 line)

 xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --rate 60 --mode 1440x900 --fb 2048x1536 \
                                        --panning 2048x1536

As I understand your statements here `--mode' should be your actual
monitors max resolution... right?

    > the "mode" is your viewport (ie, max res of your monitor). The
    > "fb" and "panning" are both set to your desired virtual size.

What I actually see is the screen grow but I cannot access the part
that is beyond the edge of my monitor... when I go there with the
mouse only a very slight shifting of screen happens... maybe something
like 1/8 inch.

For example:  the `system tray' (or  panel) in default kde  desktop is
across the bottom. When I run the  command above it is pushed down out
of site... attempting to pan to it with mouse does not work.  I only
get the tiny screen shift reported above.

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
Here is output of xrandr -q

   xrandr -q

  Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 4096 x 4096
  VGA-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
  DVI-I-1 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
  axis) 550mm x 340mm

     1280x1024      75.0     60.0
     1440x900       59.9*
     1280x960       60.0
     1152x864       75.0
     1024x768       75.1     70.1     60.0
     832x624        74.6
     800x600        72.2     75.0     60.3     56.2
     640x480        72.8     75.0     66.7     60.0
     720x400        70.1
  TV-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

I guess you are able to get a panning desktop... and your mouse, when
moved to a monitor border, shifts the screen so you can get to the
virtual real estate?

Why does it fail here?  Any ideas welcome.

Hardware details

  PC (older) P4 celeron 3.06 Ghz cpu -  2GB ram
  Video card: Nvidia GForce FX 5700LE
  Monitor: Asus 25.5 Model: VK266H
  Max res 1900x1200

You can see the full monitor details here:
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236046