Re: using kernel 3.0.1+

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 06:44:41PM +1000, yudi v wrote:
> I will be getting a new desktop with intel i5 2500k CPU, it's got an
> integrated GPU, I would like to install debian but read that the i5 GPU
> works without any issues only with the latest kernel.

I've a system with a i5 2520m (Intel Sandybridge) and written down a few
notes about it in the Debian wiki.
http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/LatitudeE6420/squeeze

In short, as other people all ready wrote, you'll have to use at least
the kernel from backports (2.6.39 currently) but I guess you'll also
need the X.org backport (thanks to KiBi for providing it).

The most annoying part is the requirement of a new kernel+non-free to get
at least ethernet working. After that it's a lot easier to get the rest
going.

HTH
Sven