Re: monitor detection maybe not working

On Fri 01 Jul 2011 at 20:47:02 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

> On 07/01/2011 03:46 PM, Brian wrote:
>>
>> xrandr believes VGA-1 is only capable of 1024x768.  Why do you believe
>> 1280x1024 is possible?
>
> 1.  The monitor keeps telling me it works better at 1280x1024.

Mine has a button to press which tells me the optimum resolution and the
one being used.

> 2.  ddcprobe gives several 1280x1024 choices.

Yes.

There is a direct connection between the monitor and the video adapter?

>> vbe: VESA 3.0 detected.
>> oem:
>> vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
>> product: CR17 Board Chip Rev A3

Which is just a different classification from the one in your first
post, I expect.

>> memory: 32768kb
>> mode: 640x400x256
>> mode: 640x480x256
>> mode: 800x600x16
>> mode: 800x600x256
>> mode: 320x200x64k
>> mode: 320x200x16m
>> mode: 640x480x64k
>> mode: 640x480x16m
>> mode: 800x600x64k
>> mode: 800x600x16m

But the card doesn't do 1280x1024 or 1024x768. I wonder how trustworthy
xresprobe is and what /var/log/Xorg.0.log says.

The nouveau driver - have you tried it? No xorg.conf required. Move it
out of the way if there is one and revert any changes you may have made
to stop nouveau operating.