Re: mounting multipath volumes with /etc/fstab

Le lundi 04 avril, mikie mike écrivit :

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Gilles Mocellin
> <gilles.mocellin@free.fr> wrote:
>
> >> Anyone could confirm or maybe recommend any solution to e.g. postpone
> >> mounting until multipath gets loaded?
> >> Or may be solution I chose ("manually" mounting via /etc/rc.local) is
> >> just right?
> > The other solution is by installing the multipath-tools-boot package,
> > which activate all multupathing stuff in initramfs (beware to regenarate
> > it if you modifiy your /etc/multipath.conf file).
>
> I tried this but ran into troubles at initrd level
>
> When booting after installing multipath-tools-boot i get something like:
>
> mount: Mounting /dev/sda1 on /root failed: Device or resource busy

I think I had some problems too.
I was forced to use a label on my /boot filesystem and use that in fstab
:
/dev/disk/by-label/boot /boot     ext3    defaults     0       2

You don't seem to use a separate filesystem for /boot.
If your root filesystem is on a multipath device, don't use on path to
boot, you should try root=/dev/mapper/something

Anyway, device naming is not predictable, if you add your FC connection
after installing your server, perhaps their device will be discovered
before your internal disks and /dev/sda1 is not anymore your rootfs.

Try using stable names, I use LVM, and for /boot where I can't (in
Lenny) I use label.

Don't forget to update-initramfs -u after any modifications concerning
the boot process.

> I don't know if this is the issue but before this event there is:
> Failure: failed to load module dm-emc

As you don't seem to use an EMC SAN, I think it's not a problem.

Anotherthing I remember : adding rootdelay=10 change how some steps are
done, and it has helped me.
My case is a bit more special as I boot directly on a multpiathed device
on SAN...