Re: weired problem around grub2

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:11:52 +0100, Geronimo wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> Then you can also think in making room for a small "/boot" partition
>> O:-)
>
> Yes, doing so is not the problem.
>
> I only don't understand the benefit of doing so. I quite a deterministic
> person - so if you can tell me a good reason, I will follow your plans.

Well, GRUB2 is having problems to boot from you current cloned partition
but is fine installed under a brand-new one. Having a small dedicated "/
boot" partition will solve the issue (I hope!) and you can then use the
remainder space for other OSes :-)

>> Sorry, it's an acronym for SuperGrubDisk. Did you try to directly boot
>> your first partition from there? I don't remember if you tried to
>> install GRUB2 from there or also tested a direct booting.
>
> Hm - I tried to boot and I tried to install. I did not see any
> difference to using the netinst-CD of debian, which offers a rescue
> mode.
> Afaik ubuntu offers the option too, boot from harddisk.
>
> The point is, whatever I tried, no CD was able to boot my partition.
> Selecting "boot from harddisk" freezes the system. No grub menu at all.
>
> I'd like to understand, what's going on.
>
> Its really crazy - when I update grub installation from partition one
> (which comes up as sdd1) the generated device map has that drive as hd0.
> When I boot into partition 2, device map shows the boot drive as hd3 but
> the root-partition is sda2

Device mapping should not be the problem. In that case, you would get at
least the GRUB2 menu and after selecting the OS to boot it would complain
about "something is misisng" but that's not the case :-/

> I'm quite confused =8-|

Me too. If you were not using ext4, I would tell to try with "GRUB
legacy" but GRUB legacy (unless patched) does not support ext4 partitions
to boot from ;-(

I've cloned drivers without any issues and after reinstalling GRUB in MBR
all went okay, not sure what is preventing GRUB2 from a proper boot.

I would try (in no concrete order):

- Chainloading (will tell you if the GRUB2 files have been corrupted
somehow)
- Opening a bug report
- Try with another bootloader (maybe LiLO can help :-?)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón