Fwd: Re: bsd-mailx incompatibility?

Oops. This was supposed to go to the list, sorry.

On 30/12/11 15:33, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Richard Hector wrote:
>> Some time between lenny and squeeze (and before lucid, but I haven't
>> searched further), mail changed its arguments.
>>

> Apparently -e was a Debian specific addition.

Ah, that explains it, thanks.

> Cases like this are why when people request that Debian make local
> patches that I usually think it is a bad idea.  For the time that it
> is in Debian it is different here there elsewhere.  And in most cases
> where the feature is worthwhile and eventually gets added upstream it
> often gets added differently.  Then we have to go through the
> transition just like this.  Better to make the feature upstream.

Yep, agreed. Or at a bare minimum, make sure it hasn't been already
added differently elsewhere.

> When I don't want to send mail I simply don't send mail.  I guess it
> is a little bit more work but I have done it so many times that I
> don't even think about it anymore.  I save the output to a temporary
> file and then check to see if the file is empty before sending it off
> in email.

Yes, that makes sense.

> What are you trying to do?  Perhaps there would be a suggestion from
> the group.

It's a fairly simple and typical wrapper script (for a program that
collects info on installed websites, and sends it off to a database), to
be called from cron. It needs to send email (other than the actual
content for the database) if there are errors. Yes, I can just make the
script a bit longer and use a temp file as you say - it only gets called
once a day.

Thanks,

Richard