Re: [OT] sendmail relay to gmail smtp server

> So after dozens of small edits and restarts and makemaps ... cutting
> to the chase:
>
> /etc/mail/authinfo
>
> (password obfuscated)
> ,----
> | Athinfo:smtp.gmail.com "U:root" "I:hputnam3@gmail.com" "P:??XX??" "M: LOGIN PLAIN"
> | Athinfo:smtp.gmail.com:587 "U:root" "I:hputnam3@gmail.com" "P:??XX??" "M: LOGIN PLAIN"
> `----

To round out the discussion and for any googlers who may turn up this
thread:

My problem was caused primarily by a nasty little typo as seen above
in /etc/mail/authinfo

Athinfo should be Authinfo <the `u' was missing>.

Per H on comp.mail.sendmail and Mick on gentoo.user spotted the
foible.

For the record it appears that this line:

  include(`/etc/mail/tls/starttls.m4')dnl

In sendmail.mc is all that was needed in my case.  I'm sure it depends
on certain ssl related packages being installed that put the files
under /etc/mail/tls in place.

For my setup.. once I managed to get Authinfo spelled correctly that
`include' line must be present or it fails.

I can now send outgoing mail thru gmails smtp servers but I find a
nasty little trait there... that server rewrites the From: line to the
email address of my google account, regardless what I put there.

I've since switched to another of my providers