Re: [OT] sendmail relay to gmail smtp server

On 28/12/11 01:49, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You don't show your authentication settings eg.:-
>> define(`CERT_DIR’, `/etc/mail/certs’)
>> define(`confCACERT_PATH’, `CERT_DIR’)
>> define(`confCACERT’, `CERT_DIR/ca-bundle.crt’)
>> define(`confCRL’, `CERT_DIR/ca-bundle.crt’)
>> define(`confSERVER_CERT’, `CERT_DIR/sendmail.pem’)
>> define(`confSERVER_KEY’, `CERT_DIR/sendmail.pem’)
>> define(`confCLIENT_CERT’, `CERT_DIR/sendmail.pem’)
>> define(`confCLIENT_KEY’, `CERT_DIR/sendmail.pem’)
>
> I suspected that might be the problem but was pretty sure it would be
> apparent from any error messages.. yet nothing in the log or verbose
> smtp output seems to indicate a problem there.

Huh? ;-) (requoting below)

> 050 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH
> | 050 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> | 050 >>> MAIL From:<reader@newsguy.com> SIZE=563 AUTH=<>
> | 050 530-5.5.1 Authentication Required.

^^^^^^^^
You try and do a plain login - gmail tells you "Authentication is
Required".... it's not saying "password failure" if that's what you're
confusing "authentication" with - it's *refusing* PLAIN XOAUTH *and*
saying "Authentication Required" (session).

> I thought perhaps the cert stuff was handled some other way.  I've
> never had that stuff in sendmail.mc since 1997 and have connected to a
> large variety of smtp servers, most of which demand authentication.

Nice try but I've been using email longer than that, and I remember the
introduction of SSL (and TLS) and the first CAs. :-)

> I'll assume by your question that you already know that needs to be
> there.

I wasn't being deliberately obtuse - I just "assumed" you'd failed to
post the relevant information given that you'd specified the use of
SSL/TLS, which *requires* a CA.

http://www.google.com/search?q=debian+sendmail+gmail

http://www.google.com/search?q=gmail+ssl+tls+sendmail+site%3Agoogle.com

> I'll post that stuff once I get it figured out how to add it.

If a simple mailx script (which demonstrates using the Mozilla CA) is
useful I posted one here:-

Cheers