Re: display: unable to load font -microsoft-verdana...

On 2011-12-30, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately someone probably created the pdf on a Windoof system using
> those fonts (print to pdf, Adobe InDesign) without embedding them. It is
> possible to modify/fix - sometimes...

Okay, understood. However, this fails to explain the behavior of display
when given no argument whatsoever (still complaining about the <missing>
font it saw earlier?).

(I didn't know jpegs had fonts in them.  I thought they were just
"images" of things.  What's a font, anyway?  I thought fonts were for/in
text).

But that's weird, isn't it, display failing to open without a file
argument, warning about a font?  I would simply have blamed the initial
file (probably), if that hadn't have happened, although as I've shown,
my understanding of the whole deal is shaky.

Anyway, it all looks like a tempest in a teapot to me now.

;-)