Re: Need help: Rebooted and now /dev/hdx are /dev/sdx

Dennis Wicks wrote:
> I rebooted and all 3 of my IDE hard drives were recognized as SCSI
> drives.

Quite some time ago the Linux kernel changed so that all ide drives
now use the scsi driver.  What you are seeing is a normal change.  But
you should have seen it some years ago!  Long enough ago that I forget
exactly when it occurred.  Perhaps this actually happened for you
previously and you are just noticing it now?

What were the kernel versions before and after?

> I did a shutdown -h, pulled the power cord for about a minute, and
> booted again and same thing.

Yes.  It is a kernel change.

> It looks like everything is mounted alright

What do you have in /etc/fstab?  If everything is mounting okay then I
think it likely that this change did already happen for you some time
ago and you didn't notice it until just now.  Which is good.  Because
it would mean that this isn't too exciting of a change for you after
all.

> except for my swapspace. They (swap space) are all defined by UUID=
> and there were boot messages that it couldn't find them. I tried a
> swapon -a and got a message "cannot find the device for UUID=..."

I have never seen the UUID of a partition change spontaneously.

> Any ideas what is wrong and/or how to fix it? I am a little worried
> that something is going to get screwed up!

Use the blkid command to print out the UUID and other information for
all of your devices.  Find your swap device in that list.  Does the
UUID of your swap device match the UUID listed in /etc/fstab?

  # blkid

Other ideas...  Did you restore from backup recently and perhaps
replace your fstab with an older copy?  Did you copy files from
machine to machine and replace your fstab with a different copy?  This
won't affect your running system.  It will only come into affect at
boot time.  If you don't reboot very often then you could go years
without noticing a problem there.  Until you reboot.

Bob