Re: port direction definition

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 27/12/11 05:00, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Lu, 26 dec 11, 09:32:51, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
I have laptop -> router -> internet. The router is Westell A90-750015-07. I am using Verizon DSL High Speed Internet.

I have set up the apache server on port 8088. It works internally but not externally. So http://192.168.1.21:8088 works. However, I am not able to access the site if I try http://192.168.1.1:8088 or http://72.88.231.219:8088

I tried to set up the port forwarding in the router, but this process is very confusing.

Consider these snapshots for example...
snapshot1.jpeg - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4J6QB3eL1ZZYTcyNzNjNTYtZDY5OC00YTMzLWIxM2YtYTVmMTZkZjk3YmRh snapshot2.jpeg - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4J6QB3eL1ZZMzc3NWY1OTItMjYxMi00M2VmLThjMjEtNDRiZTc2ZDM4YTM3 snapshot3.jpeg - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4J6QB3eL1ZZM2Y4MzBjNDMtOTM4Yy00NmU4LTliZGEtMjkzMzJlYzk2NDAw

In the router configuration (192.168.1.1), I chose "Firewall Settings" -> Port Forwarding and I get snapshot1.jpeg. I then choose "Add". This gives snapshot2.jpeg. There is no rule relevant to forwarding of http packets, so I click on create which gives snapshot3.jpeg.

In snapshot3.jpeg, the field (1) "Enter a name for the custom service:" can be any random name. But what about (2)? Should I choose "Port Forwarding" or "Port Triggering".
I'd say "Port Forwarding".
The options in section 3 of snapshot3.jpeg are even more confusing. Under the Protocol, there are three options - tcp, udp, both. I guess I should choose "both"?
I don't think you need both, tcp should be enough

For Global PortStart, Global PortEnd should I choose 8088?
For Base HostPort, should I choose 8088?
Yes. Note: since I have to mess with the ports when doing the port forwarding I prefer to let the service always run on it's default port. Makes things easier in a lot of cases.

What about Direction? In/Out?
If the Direction is "In", then "Port Direction" can only be Dst.
If the Direction is "Out", then "Port Direction" can be Dst or Src. Which Port direction should I choose?
I think it should be "In".

Thanks for any help. This is utterly confusing to me. No amount of googling helped me. There is no help page for this router. Did anyone get this working or is my best choice to buy another router?
No, there certainly is a way and other routers I've dealt with are just as confusing. This is one reason I welcome the switch to IPv6.

Hope this helps,
Andrei

The above sound right. Check this is there's still any confusion:-
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/A90-750015-07/Apache.htm

Interesting link. Didn't know it existed. Too bad my router model isn't on it: 2Wire model 4011G-001 (ISP: Telmex). I already figured out how to do portforwarding on it for apache2 though. Thanks.

Hugo