Re: Gnome 3 update makes PDFs open in inkscape

On 23/12/11 15:05, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
Hello all,

I recently pulled in the updates that brought Gnome 3.  Now, anytime I
try to open a PDF in iceweasel, they are opened with inkscape instead of
evince.  There's a bug filed on this problem (#613752), but it includes
no workaround.

gnome-control-center lets me specify preferred applications for only a
scant few things, but not PDFs.  Setting iceweasel's application/pdf to
/usr/bin/evince doesn't help.  I would be happy to remove inkscape, but
gnome and gnome-desktop-environment depend on it.

What is the right way around this?

Right click on the file in Nautilus and choose properties.

Select the "Open With" tab

Either pick an application from the list and click the "Set as Default" button, or if its not there you will have to "Show Other Applications" first and select one from there.

If its not in the "Show Other Applications" it a bit harder because I think you have to set up a "desktop" file with the right info in. (Take a look at the files in /usr/share/applications - which has the ones which should be installed on your system)

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk