Re: OT programming languages/ systems for advanced applications on Linux

David Christensen wrote:
On 12/25/2011 09:42 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

The type of applications I've been writing with Perl include system utilities, text munging, data acquisition and control, and CGI scripts. Most everything interfaces via the environment, STDIN, STDOUT, STDERR, and/or files. The applications I want to build include web content management systems and web portals. I've staying away from graphical user interfaces and hope to use Web 2 technologies instead. I prefer text files over databases for interoperability and version control reasons, although I do have ideas for using SQL for indexing and query acceleration.

Other wish-list features include FOSS, rigorous language/ library design and documentation, a comprehensive and easily extended library, support for automated testing, robust interoperability with OS, local resources, and remote services, and deep integration with the FOSS ecosystem. Built-in mini-languages for regular expressions, documentation, formatting/ templating, SQL, etc., are a conundrum; libraries would suit me fine.

there's a lot to be said for application-specific languages - otherwise
there's way to much cognitive pain involved in translating to/from
problem domain to/from low-level constructs a la c, java, ..... ---
e.g., for mathematical manipulation, give me MATLAB or MACSYMA over c,
any day of the week

Agreed. (The language/ system I'm seeking should be capable of implementing application-specific languages.)

"Implementing application-specific languages" (in which case LISP is the classic environment for doing so), or an "application-specific language for manipulating system information" (in which case, arguably, various shells, perl, and tcl are the classic application-specific languages for doing so)? :-)

Cheers,

Miles