Re: OT programming languages/ systems for advanced applications on Linux

Joel Rees wrote:
On 12/23/11, David Christensen<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>  wrote:
Someone wrote:
I am like you and wrote most of my C++ during the
early years of the language.  I used the AT&T Cfront version 1.2
compiler for years.  Always on Unix machines and never on Windows.

I have become disillusioned with the new C++ that has the kitchen sink
in it.  It has become the new ADA.
Is ADA evil?
Don't you mean the new PL1? :-)

Re. Ada: Surprisingly, after everyone thoroughly ignored the DoD mandate to use Ada, it's had some ongoing success as a language for mission- and safety-critical systems.

On a more general note: for "advanced application" (as the subject focuses on), and assuming that "advanced" translates to "complicated" - there's a lot to be said for application-specific languages - otherwise there's way to much cognitive pain involved in translating to/from problem domain to/from low-level constructs a la c, java, ..... --- e.g., for mathematical manipulation, give me MATLAB or MACSYMA over c, any day of the week