Re: displaying Japanese in the virtual consoles/terminals in squeeze

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 09:10:48PM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> For reasons I don't care to debate, I have set my system's default
> language to Japanese. When I go to work in the virtual console windows
> (for instance, apt-get), I tend to get messages that should be in
> Japanese, but the Japanese is replaced by the Unicode replacement
> characters ("?"), which is no problem unless I hit some errors. Which,
> of course is a problem..
>
> Trying to search the web for this, and all I can see is old stuff,
> stuff about game consoles, and stuff about setting up X11. I know I
> should be able to get better results, but I'm not very imaginative.

See /etc/default/console-setup.  Note that the virtual console has
historically been limited to only 512 characters, which may mean
that the full repertoire of Chinese and Japanese glyphs are not
available using the built-in terminal emulator.

You might have more success with running [j]fbterm or similar, which
should have better support for more characters.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh