Getting the microphone to work on Creative Audigy

Hi!

I have installed siduction onto my desktop as well as installing at
long last my new Creative Audigy sound card. I have the KDE desktop and
my kernel is 3.1-6.towo.2-siduction-686.

I am having trouble getting the microphone to work. It is plugged into
the blue socket on the sound card which the manual says is for Line In
or microphone. arecord does not produce any sound with the command
    arecord -Ddefault:CA0106 -d10 test.wav
the command
    aplay -Ddefault:CA0106 test.wav
certainly produces a background hiss, but no actual input.

Can anybody help me?

Regards
--
Dr Sian Mountbatten