Re: OT programming languages/ systems for advanced applications on Linux

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 02:14:44PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> Someone wrote:
> >I am like you and wrote most of my C++ during the
> >early years of the language.  I used the AT&T Cfront version 1.2
> >compiler for years.  Always on Unix machines and never on Windows.
> >
> >I have become disillusioned with the new C++ that has the kitchen sink
> >in it.  It has become the new ADA.  I believe it makes easy programs
> >easy and hard programs harder.  So now I program in C and haven't
> >written much C++ in years.
> I learned Perl in 1998, and have been using it as my primary

> I learned C++ in 1995 and used it professionally until ~2000.  While
> I loved C, I have mixed memories of C++.  I have positive memories

---big snip---

My preference was C (which followed years of FORTRAN) for
geophysical applications.  I did some C++ but never cared for the

I noted your comments on Python, and while I haven't any
experience with the 2 -> 3 transition, I am inclined to prefer
it.  In fact, almost all my work is now in that language.  You
can see some examples at my page (below) in the SOFTWARE section.

			   Dean Provins, P. Geoph.
		  KeyID at at pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371: 0x9643AE65
	  Fingerprint: 9B79 75FB 5C2B 22D0 6C8C 5A87 D579 9BE5 9643 AE65