Re: Ownership of external usb hard drive

On 22/12/11 20:55, Raf Czlonka wrote:
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 01:50:57AM GMT, Ashton Fagg wrote:
On 22/12/11 11:39, Sharon Kimble wrote:
As the drive is owned by root should it be run as sudo?

Yes, or as root (su -c 'chown blah blah').

What's the point of running "su" as root?

My wording wasn't clear, apparently. I didn't mean run "su" whilst as root, I meant use "su" to run it as root as an alternative to sudo. Does that make more sense? :)

Your example will only change user "blah" permissions for "blah"
file/directory. Example above is better as it changes the permissions
recursively and group ones as well.

By "chown blah blah" I actually meant "insert the command from the previous reply". I thought that would be obvious...

Apparently my internet communication skills are way off today, apologies.

Cheers,
Ashton.

--
Ashton Fagg (ashton@fagg.id.au)