Re: Ownership of external usb hard drive

On 22 December 2011 00:59, Scott Ferguson
<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/12/11 11:26, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> I have an external usb hard drive that I use solely for storing
>> backups which are done every three hours of my home folder. It is
>> 'owned' by root, but I want to have the user boztu to have ownership
>> of it so that boztu can write to it from their cron backup program,
>> but how do I do it please?
>>
>> At the moment root writes to it at midnight and creates a new dated
>> folder, because only root has write access to it. Then every three
>> hours boztu writes to it and backs up the changes in the home folder,
>> but I want user boztu to do =all= of it including creating the new
>> dated folder.
>>
>> Does this make sense?
>>
>> Sharon.
>
> Assuming you mount it somewhere beneath /media, and that SOLID (or
> whatever) is set to mount the drive there everytime
>
> # chown -R boztu:boztu /media/somewhere

Thanks Scott for this.
As the drive is owned by root should it be run as sudo? Thinking
logically, yes, so I'm running it as sudo accordingly, and its got
just over five months of backups to chomp its way through! :)

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html