Re: Ownership of external usb hard drive

On 22 December 2011 02:04, Scott Ferguson
<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/12/11 12:39, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> On 22 December 2011 00:59, Scott Ferguson
>> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Assuming you mount it somewhere beneath /media, and that SOLID (or
>>> whatever) is set to mount the drive there everytime
>>>
>>> # chown -R boztu:boztu /media/somewhere
>>
>> Thanks Scott for this. As the drive is owned by root should it be run
>> as sudo?
>
> The # means run the command as root - saves me asking whether you use sudo.
> My apologies for:- ;presuming you'd understand my shorthand ;forgetting
> that others read the list.
>
>> Thinking logically, yes, so I'm running it as sudo accordingly, and
>> its got just over five months of backups to chomp its way through!
>> :)
>
> Saves discovering boztu has less rights than root! ;-p
>
> Still shouldn't take more than a few minutes to run through. You might
> want to consider incremental backups during the day - and a complete
> backup at the end of each day if space is going to become a problem.
> Once you've finished changing the permissions for the directory you're
> backing up to (/media/somewhere) it will be owned by boztu, but still
> writable by root, (and remain owned by boztu). There are other ways to
> achieve similar results but they involve group permissions I'm not
> comfortable with.
>

>> Thanks Sharon.
>

> Cheers (and happy solstice season)

I've just tried to create a folder on the external h/d which failed.
This is the error report;-
 mkdir /media/8eef3b99-c17b-4913-ae61-d34c7fd5d459/test
mkdir: cannot create directory
`/media/8eef3b99-c17b-4913-ae61-d34c7fd5d459/test': Permission denied

Any ideas for a solution please?

Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.3, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.4.4