PermitUserEnvironment option forOpenSSH sshd; was Re(2): automating x permission on a file.

*	From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
*	Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:45:19 -0700
> This would be much better for rsync over ssh.  Start using rsync using
> the -a option to preserve everything including permissions.

The PermitUserEnvironment option for the OpenSSH sshd might
make scp usable after all.  At present the sshd won't allow
an existing file to be over-written, even when write permission
is present.  Is there a NAME=value pair for ~/.ssh/environment
which means "allow over-writing of existing file"?  I haven't
found helpful documentation.

This is my next idea for a user specific J interpreter server
to be started before a work session.  If ssh does what is needed,
this won't be needed.  Nevertheless, a good exercise.

#!/bin/dash
# A script named jserver to be started prior to a work session.
# Whenever <script file> is modified, it is executed.
exec while 1 do
case "$#" in
0) echo "Usage: jserver <script file>"; exit;;
1) ;;
\?) echo "Usage: jserver <script file>"; exit;;
esac
# There is one parameter which should be the name of a file containing an executable script.
case (inotifywait -e modify "$1") in
0) chmod u+x ~/"$1"; ~/"$1";;
1) echo "inotifywait: An  error  occurred.  Check parameter file name.";;
2) echo "inotifywait: no event in specified interval of time.";;
esac
done
exit

Thanks for any further tips,         ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Former telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca