Re: Everything seems to cause a reboot

On 12/20/2011 4:22 AM, Paul Saunders wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:55:50 +1100
> goossens@rsc.anu.edu.au wrote:

>>> The quick fix is to simply swap your high quality clack-itty
>>> dinosaur KB with its inbuilt 8042 chip for any new off the shelf
>>> modern KB of your choice from $5 to $50.  However, your current
>>> selection of the Model M for modern use demonstrates a
>>> psychological profile that prevents you from taking the easy
>>> route.  (Or, did you tell a half truth?  Is this KB actually a
>>> newer Unicomp knockoff?  If so the problem is probably not the KB)
>>>
>>> So, you can monkey with the BIOS A20 setting, try a PS/2-USB
>>> converter, hack up a20.c, etc, to see if any of these things work
>>> for you.  If not, take option #1 and simply move on with life.
>>> Hang the Model M on a wall or something as a trophy.
>
> Rebooting when switching out of graphics mode sounds like a graphics
> driver problem to me, but just to eliminate the problem of your
> keyboard, try appending "reboot=bios" to your kernel parameters. The
> default is to use the keyboard controller to reboot, Stan is suggesting
> that this may be a challenge for your keyboard.

Yeah, he's got an old old IBM PS/2 clack-itty keyboard, guessing
mid/late 1980s model, with the inbuilt 8042.  Seems likely it's the
cause of his problems as I've heard similar many times over the years.
If this is the case, is this kernel parm a permanent fix Paul, allowing
him to keep the old IBM KB without jumping through other hoops?  I've
never had to monkey with it.

You may want to walk Darren through editing his grub configuration, as
it seems that kinda thing is beyond his current level of expertise.
I've stuck with LILO through the years, and have never used Grub, so I'm
useless here.

--
Stan