Re: Everything seems to cause a reboot

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:55:50 +1100
goossens@rsc.anu.edu.au wrote:

>  On 12/19/2011 6:01 PM, goossens@rsc.anu.edu.au wrote:
> >
> >> I have a i7 quad core 2600K, running current squeeze 6.0.3 with
> >> default Gnome installation.
> >> I have an IBM Model M 101 keyboard.
> >
> > The quick fix is to simply swap your high quality clack-itty
> > dinosaur KB with its inbuilt 8042 chip for any new off the shelf
> > modern KB of your choice from $5 to $50.  However, your current
> > selection of the Model M for modern use demonstrates a
> > psychological profile that prevents you from taking the easy
> > route.  (Or, did you tell a half truth?  Is this KB actually a
> > newer Unicomp knockoff?  If so the problem is probably not the KB)
> >
> > So, you can monkey with the BIOS A20 setting, try a PS/2-USB
> > converter, hack up a20.c, etc, to see if any of these things work
> > for you.  If not, take option #1 and simply move on with life.
> > Hang the Model M on a wall or something as a trophy.

Rebooting when switching out of graphics mode sounds like a graphics
driver problem to me, but just to eliminate the problem of your
keyboard, try appending "reboot=bios" to your kernel parameters. The
default is to use the keyboard controller to reboot, Stan is suggesting
that this may be a challenge for your keyboard.

--
Paul Saunders