Re: Everything seems to cause a reboot

On 12/19/2011 6:01 PM, goossens@rsc.anu.edu.au wrote:

> I have a i7 quad core 2600K, running current squeeze 6.0.3 with default
> Gnome installation.
>
> 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel, 8 GB ram.
>
> When I try to shutdown, reboot, logout, switch user or Ctrl-Alt-Fn to
> switch tty the machine does a hard reset and reboots.
> I have an IBM Model M 101 keyboard.

The quick fix is to simply swap your high quality clack-itty dinosaur KB
with its inbuilt 8042 chip for any new off the shelf modern KB of your
choice from $5 to $50.  However, your current selection of the Model M
for modern use demonstrates a psychological profile that prevents you
from taking the easy route.  (Or, did you tell a half truth?  Is this KB
actually a newer Unicomp knockoff?  If so the problem is probably not
the KB)

So, you can monkey with the BIOS A20 setting, try a PS/2-USB converter,
hack up a20.c, etc, to see if any of these things work for you.  If not,
take option #1 and simply move on with life.  Hang the Model M on a wall
or something as a trophy.

--
Stan