Re: Find which package has installed some file under /etc

On 2011-12-19 23:02:07 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 01:02:22AM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > On 2011-12-18 13:18:02 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > The namespace is defined by Debian Policy.  The filename should be
> > > named after the package name.  Since the package names must be
> > > different the file name derived from it must be different.  (I think
> > > it is okay for /etc/default/foo to be part of a foo-common package
> > > though.  The namespace intention has been preserved.)
> >
> > It's not always the case:
> did you check "apt-cache showsrc ..."

What "apt-cache showsrc ..." says doesn't matter. The point is what
the Debian Policy says. If it isn't followed and some new package
creates a /etc/default/... file that clashes with some other package
because of that, there would be a problem (with potential data loss).
The fact that the filename is close to the package name is not
sufficient to avoid problems.